If you move to another country it becomes overwhelming, and even more difficult if you do not know what to expect. Trying to bring the entire family means that you have to go through the proper channels to immigrate to the new country legally, with the best legal help from an immigration lawyer that understands the immigration system.

U.S. citizens that are legal permanent residents of the US can make the petition to have their foreign relatives immigrate to the country with them.

Moving to a new country and the process can be tough, but it is worth it to feel safe and continue living your life. If you or a beloved one does not understand any form that they are filing or need additional help to avoid wasting money and time, we strongly suggest to contact promptly an skilled Immigration Lawyer in New Mexico.

What is necessary to know

First of all, your family member needs to prove that is family, that you are their sponsor, and the relationship between the two of you has to be verifiable. You also need to show proof of being a permanent resident or natural citizen within the country.

Once you start the process to bring your relative, you need to be clear of the types of citizenship before filing any document requesting a status. You become the sponsor of this person, the more accurate the information of you and your relative, the more possibilities you have to have a positive result.

People who have granted the rights to live in The United States have specific rules and regulations to adhere to when living in the country.

Those who are permanent, legal, natural citizens, or have applied and been approved for citizenship do not have the same rules and regulations. 

People that can be sponsored in the US when this parameters met:

  • Spouses
  • Children over the age of 21, who are unmarried
  • Children under the age of 21
  • Son or daughter who is married of any age
  • Siblings of the petitioner, as long as the petitioner is 21 or older
  • Parents of the petitioner, as long as the petitioner is 21 or older

The documentation and being able to fulfill the needs and requests required are the responsibility of the petitioner. All this information has to be checked before requesting your family members to come over.

Children under the age of 21 and spouses have the highest priority by the government to have come over. The other categories are considered lower, though they are possible to have come over.

Citizens are the only ones able to request the other family members to come out. 

What Happens With A Fiance?

The fiance has the opportunity to come to The United States just  90 days under a K-1 visa. If the two become married in the United States within the 90 days, the fiance is then a citizen alongside the sponsor. If they don’t get married, the person will need to return to their countries.

If the couple get married within The US there are follow-ups that are done to ensure that the two are actually getting married and not just for resident status within the country. This is important to keep in mind when applying for a visa and considering marriage.


If a family member is not a permanent resident, there are various channels, there are also visas that can be used to help the family come over sooner. Since the legal permanent resident is not a citizen, they can opt for a V visa. 

The V Visa is a temporary Visa that makes your relative stay for a period of time.

Qualifying for a V Visa

To qualify for a V visa, a spouse or child (under age 21) of a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR) must meet all of the following criteria:

The U.S. LPR spouse and/or parent MUST have filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of his or her spouse/child(ren), and the applicant must not have already had an immigrant visa interview or be scheduled for an interview;

They will move to the country while everyone waits for the visas to be processed. There are certain specifications and requirements in order for these visas to be processed and passed through. The families are then able to stay together while visas and immigration status is being sorted by the government.

There are a number of different visas and immigration options that are available for those who want to move to the United States or move their family members with them. It is important that you know what is available for your particular situation, and contact an experienced Valencia Law Group Immigration lawyer.


Reach out a lawyer  who knows visas and immigration laws. The law office of Valencia Law Group is able to provide more insight and information regarding the immigration that can be done, what is needed to make sure you move your family members in a smooth way.

Valencia Law Group immigration lawyers are knowledgeable and will let you know what is required of you, while they prepare and file the paperwork necessary to bring your family to you. 

You have the chance to live with them and avoid nostalgia and fear of the future of your loved ones, we want to make sure you have them sent over in a timely manner.

Contact us today or give us a call, to be clear about immigration laws and your opportunity to bring your family together.

Add Your Comment